Lachen Lachung Tour Packages
Lachung (North Sikkim ):- Lachung is a mountain village close to the Tibetan border, in the North of Sikkim. It’s divided by the Lachung River. Lachung situated at an elevation of 3000 meters (from the sea level) and at the meeting point of two major Lachen river and Lachung river of river Teesta in the northeast part of Sikkim India. This tourist Destination famous to visit unexplored natural beauty. It is situated at a height of 8,610 feet. Tourists can spot snow-capped mountain peaks, breathtaking waterfalls, sparkling streams and apple orchards.
- Lachung famous tourist point is “The Yumthang Valley” situated at an elevation of nearly 11800 feet.
- Yumthang Valley is famous hot spring which is known for its curative properties of skin diseases – hot springs, yaks and grazing pasture on rolling meadows.
- Yumthang is a valley near the river Lachung Chu surrounded by mountains where the tree line ends.
- In spring the valley erupts in riots of colors as Primulae, Rhododendrons and many other Alpine flowers in full bloom along with snow covered valley except in autumn.
- During winter Yumthang is somber with snow all around and the snow clad mountains adding to the ethereal beauty.
Lachen (North Sikkim ):- Lachen is a town in North Sikkim district in the Indian state of Sikkim. Lachen located at an altitude of 2693 meters. The name Lachen means “big pass”. The town is being promoted as a tourist destination by the Sikkimese government Lachen is snow capped peaks, the Shingbha wild life sanctuary, Gurudongmar Lake, Chopta Valley, Thangu are the major attraction. It’s a valley surrounded by gigantic and humbling snow peak mountains and the starting point of Green Lake Trek.
- Lachen is loved by tourist because of Lush greenery of Himalayas, beauty of natural bloomed rhododendrons flowers , awesome snowy view in winter season.
- Nature of Lachen People are cooperative and friendly.
- Lachen’s beauty comes out in different shades during different seasons.
The weather of Lachen & Lachen is quite pleasant in summer season. The temperature is not very low and rainfall is quite less. The village has fresh bloom of colourful and beautiful flowers like Rhododendrons, and it resonates with colours. In Winter Season skies and the mountain ranges are visible. Desire to see lichen Snow fall attracts numbers of Traveller /Tourist to visit this place .
Lachen famous lake is Gurudongmar Lake. Gurudongmar Lake is one of the highest lakes in the world and in India. Gurudongmar Lake 55 kilometers, 2 ½ – 3 ½ hours drive from Lachen. A valley at an altitude of 11, 800 feet through which Lachen Chu flows, generally covered with snow from December to April or even more is known as the Holy / Sacred Lake.
Lachung has no airport of its own. The closest airport to Lachung is Pakyong Airport . Pakyong Airport is a greenfield airport near Gangtok, the state capital of Sikkim, India. The airport, spread over 400 ha, is located at Pakyong town about 35km south of Gangtok. At 4500 ft. This Airport is well connected to several major cities around India. These cities include Mumbai, Chennai, Bangalore, New Delhi, Guwahati, and Kolkata.
Cultures of Sikkim:- The People of Sikkim consist of three ethnic groups, that is, Lepcha, Bhutia and Nepali. Communities of different hues intermingle freely in Sikkim to constitute a homogenous blend. Hindu Temples coexist with Buddhist Monasteries, Churches, Mosque and Gurudwara. The predominant Communities are Lepchas, Bhutias and Nepalese. These myriad Cultures has produced a quintessential Sikkimese Culture that encompasses all ways and walk of life. People of Lachung celebrates Worship, Festivals and Cultural dances through the year.
Languages of Lachung:- The people of Lachung speak a variety of languages. The languages spoken include Nepali, Bhutia, Lepcha, Limbu, Newari, Rai, Gurung, Mangar, etc. While some speak Hindi, English is even less commonly spoken here.
Lachung Weather:- Lachung’s summer season begins in March and goes on till May. Summer temperatures are moderate and range between 10 degrees Celsius and 28 degrees Celsius. The monsoon season begins in July and ends in September. Lachung experiences heavy rain during the monsoon season. The winter season is cold . Weather: Summer 10 to 20°C, Winter -2 to 10°C.
Best Time To Visit Lachung:- Best time to visit Lachung is throughout the year as this city is surrounded by mountains and you can get pleasant atmosphere. The best time to visit would be from February till April and from September till early November(temperature is about 10°c to 16°c.). The other months will either have monsoon rains or will be very cold.
Main Tourist Places to Visit In Lachung
• Yumthang Valley – A small slice of heaven.
• Chopta Valley – A valley of snow.
• Chungthang – Lose yourself in glorious history.
• Seven Sisters Waterfalls – Bathe under the silvery falls.
• Thangu – Sit by the waters.
• Mangan – For all the shoppers out there.
• Gurudongmar Lake – Capture the beauty through your lens
How To Reach Lachung & Lachen
- By Road:-Tourist need to arrive in Gangtok, the capital of Sikkim. Distance Gangtok to Lachen & Lachung is approx (135 kilometers, 5 – 6 hours drive )- Chungthang is 96 kilometers from Gangtok. Numbers of Tourist Car /Taxis and buses are available from Gangtok till Lachung Lachen.
- By Train:- New Jalpaiguri in West Bengal is the nearest railway station to Lachen. From New Jalpaiguri, Lachen is 195 km via NH31A and Lachen- Chungthang Road. New Jalpaiguri is well connected to other major Indian stations like Chennai ,Kolkata, New Delhi, etc.
- By Air:-The nearest airport to Lachen& Lachung is Pakyong Airport Sikkim 737106 at distance 132 Kms (5 h 57 min ) and can be reached via NH31A.